Sunday, June 21, 2015

GEORGE CLINTON AND PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC AT THE TD TORONTO JAZZ FESTIVAL


From 9 on the dot until just after 11, I probably witnessed and experienced one of the most electric, mind-blowing, and otherworldly concert experiences in the many years I have attended this festival.   The concert happens to be the Parliament/Funkadelic collective led by the brilliant mastermind of singer, songwriter and producer George Clinton.

The entire night was probably a complete and utter smorgasbord of various musical styles and genres rolled into an atmosphere that was made to dance, groove, make friends, and for me maybe the only time I experience a club like atmosphere while going home at a decent time.  

The band started off with a blend of hip-hop and heavy metal, then rolled into deep cuts of funk with hits such as “One Nation Under A Groove” and “Tear the Roof Off The Sucker (Give Up The Funk)”.   Especially the latter, when the song was sung and played, everybody sung in unison and grooved at the same time.   It was also significant since that was the music of my childhood growing up.   It was my pop music.   In those days pop music had a lot of quality, polish, and substance, something that pop producers and musicians of today could definitely seek to benefit from.

Overall, the free Parliament/Funkadelic show was one of the most illest, dope concerts I have ever been to in my life, and it was a great way to kick off the jazz festival.

GEORGE CLINTON OFFICIAL WEB SITE:


No comments:

Post a Comment