Sunday, November 22, 2015

WHAT DOES THE WORD "GAY" REALLY MEAN?

Gay.   Sadly, it is probably the most hijacked word of our time.   Back in the day, it did not mean what it does mean today.  

In the 1890’s, it was a decade known as the “Gay 90’s”.   Before the turn of the 20th century, the decade birthed composers such as George Gershwin and Duke Ellington who would redefine the musical landscape of America with its fusion of jazz and classical musics.   It was the dawning of progress and a new time.    “Gay”, as it was known back then, meant happy, and in that decade, it was a happy, promising time of progress.

This definition has held its course, but when Stonewall of 1969 happened, the definition was seriously hijacked to something that is really not of God, and not of progress.   “Gay”, meant that if you are sexually and physically attracted to the same sex, it is OK.   According to the Bible (and I may lose friends as a result of this), homosexuality is an abomination unto God (Leviticus 18:22) and those who practice homosexuality will NOT inherit the kingdom of God (I Corinthians 6:9-10).   I didn’t write the script.   God did.   And everyone on judgment day will have to answer.

I have dealt with this temptation, and to the day I’ll die or if God calls me home, I will not give in or back down to society pressures or a “feels good, do it” mentality.   My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and as a result I will serve God through my whole self.

I want to recapture the meaning of the word “Gay”.   If it is the original meaning denoting that I am a happy individual, then yes in that case, I’m gay.   But in light of the contemporaries, I reject their nuance of vocabulary to fit their agenda.


And on that note, that is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help me God.

No comments:

Post a Comment