Tuesday, August 19, 2014

JEWISH SOUL FOOD AT CAPLANSKY'S DELI

On a cool Monday in August, I finally decided to make the trek to one of the great delicatessens in Toronto with a storied, entrepreneurial past.   The deli: Caplansky’s on College.

Located near Kensington Market and Little Italy, this delicatessen is known for its delicious, succulent sandwiches, donuts, borscht, matzo ball soup and hosting Passover dinners in April (in which I will be attending next year).    This is Jewish soul food at its finest and best and it brings me back to a certain kinship and camaraderie I have felt amongst the Jewish people of the day.

Since it was Monday, I opted to have the Turkey BLT ($11), in which was a big, juicy succulent sandwich loaded with smoked, pulled off the bone turkey, beef bacon strips, lettuce and tomato on toasted challah.     It was finger licking good and mouthwatering, shattering my expectations when it comes to the usual suspects of processed poultry meats.

A word about Mr. Zane Caplansky.   He is best known as a judge on the “Donut Showdown” TV show on the food network, has appeared on Dragon’s Den, and has a famous food truck that wants to elevate street food in a new level in Toronto.   Upon meeting this man I see nothing but enterprising success and charm in his character, and that by keeping the tradition alive he is making it possible for a new generation to check out some good quality eats.

Caplansky’s is a place in which I will definitely be coming to again and making it my new “Cheers”, or “Central Perk”.

CAPLANSKYS
356 College Street
Phone:  416-500-3852
www.caplanskysdeli.com


 (Mr. Zane Caplansky and Me)

No comments:

Post a Comment