Friday, February 28, 2014

THE SPRING QUARTET AT MASSEY HALL


THE SPRING QUARTET AT MASSEY HALL

On a cold winter’s night, I decided to catch what could be the best concert that I have ever seen in years.   The lineup: Jack DeJohnette, Joe Lovano, Esperanza Spalding, and Leo Genovese, otherwise known as the Spring Quartet.

The entire night consisted of originals composed by everyone in the band, which gives it a fresh vitality and progressiveness to the jazz spirit.    It ran the gamut from straight ahead swing, post-bop, and even the avant-garde, done with such class, taste and pizzazz.

Although Jack DeJohnette, Joe Lovano and Esperanza Spalding are recognized jazz stars in their right, I have to take this time to pay special attention to pianist Leo Genovese.   He could very well be (and mark my words), the next McCoy Tyner.   His solos were so fiery, musical, and passionate that I literally felt like I was in a church revival meeting where the Spirit was moving like a hurricane.    If you don’t know what that is like, check out a black Pentecostal church.

My only complaint is that this concert should have been packed out to experience what I have experienced.    Esperanza Spalding displayed why she deserved the Best New Artist Grammy that she beat out Justin Bieber for 3 years ago.   But to play with a lot of empty seats shows the sad state that creative music can’t attract a wider audience.

Again, the best concert of 2014.   Period.

JACK DEJOHNETTE WEB SITE

ESPERANZA SPALDING WEB SITE

JOE LOVANO WEB SITE

No comments:

Post a Comment